HR Truck Licence

Getting your HR truck licence is the gateway to an exciting new career.

The Road Transport Industry is constantly looking for highly trained and skilled truck drivers. But for many heavy vehicle jobs you need to gain an HR truck licence from a truck driving school such as the Pro-action Driver Training programme.

We provide RMS approved and accredited driver training and competency-based (HVCBA) assessments to help you step into this key growth industry.

What You Can Do With This Licence

Your HR (Heavy Rigid) truck licence opens up a whole new world of possibilities in the Road Transport industry.

People with an HR truck licence are in high demand across many industries throughout Australia.

It’s vital for truck driving jobs in industries such as mining or construction as well as for most large heavy vehicle transport companies.

The added flexibility of an HR licence will also give you an extra edge for jobs where only an LR or MR is required.

Your new HR licence will allow you to take advantage of a wide range of truck driving jobs including:

  • Tour coach driver or municipal bus driver
  • General freight deliveries for anything from timber to furniture and whiteware
  • Refrigerated trucks
  • Tow trucks
  • Concrete mixers
  • Aircraft refueller
  • Tanker driver
  • Tipper truck

An HR truck licence is required for any truck, bus or other vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of more than 8 tonnes and three or more axles. The HR licence also allows you to drive bendy buses because these are included in the rigid category.

To get an HR truck licence you need to meet the requirements as set out by the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).

Attaining your HR truck licence from Pro-action Driver Training is proof that you have met the required competency and safety standards.

You will gain the benefit of some of the highest driver training standards in Australia.

And it also demonstrates to potential employers that you have the skills and the initiative to do the job safely and effectively.

Apply Today

What the Course Covers

Driving an HR heavy vehicle is a big responsibility. You need to demonstrate competency in a wide range of truck driving skills.

Through the Pro-action HR truck licence programme you will learn how to do the following:

  • Pre Operational Checks
  • Cabin Drill
  • Start, Move Off, Shut Down & Secure
  • Manages Steering
  • Manages Gears
  • Manages Brakes
  • Manages Accelerator
  • Create/Maintain Crash Avoidance Space (CAS)
  • Protect Crash Avoidance Space (CAS)
  • Road Rules and Directions
  • Reverse
  • Hill Stop/Start
  • Load Securing
  • Coupling/Uncoupling (HC/MC only)
  • Bus Stop Procedure (Bus Only)

We work with you, taking you step by step through each aspect of safe truck handling.

You’ll get to build your confidence in those areas you’re not so sure of and gain even more expertise in those aspects that you thought were straightforward.

Apply Today

What Do I Need to Do Next?

The RMS heavy vehicle licensing system focuses on building on your skills and knowledge base at each level.

So to upgrade to an HR truck licence you need to have held a C class licence or equivalent for two years or more. This does not include time spent on a learner licence. But you can count any time you’ve spent on a P1 licence.

Remember though, you can’t practice driving an HR vehicle or upgrade to an HR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence.

Your first steps are to:

  • Fill out the application from—you can download it here
  • Pass the required eyesight test
  • You also need to pass the HR Driver Knowledge test. You can obtain this form here at the RMS website. This test includes general and road safety questions specific to the licence class you’re applying for.
  • Then you must pay the applicable fee. You can find out more about these here

You will need to study for your Driver Knowledge test but you can find all the information you’ll need in the handbooks available here.

Apply Today

Do I Need any Training Materials?

At this point you’ll be given an HVCBA Learner’s Log Book and a Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment – they are required for your assessment and is supplied by the RMS once you’ve passed the Knowledge Test.

The Learner’s Log and guide book will help you through the assessment process and allow you to keep track of your learning.

Now that you’ve completed these steps you can apply to Pro-action Driver Training for your competency-based training and assessment.

Will I Also Have to Sit an RMS Driving Test?


No separate driving test is required. The Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) allows you to gain your HR Truck licence through the Pro-action Driver Training programme.

This programme offers a Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA). And as an Accredited Training Provider we will ensure that you receive the approved training and are assessed by an accredited assessor.

Be aware the assessor for the final Competency Assessment cannot be the same person who provided your training.

We arrange the assessor for the final Competency Assessment as part of our course and if you have done your training with another training provider we can complete your final competency assessment (FCA) with you.

Once you pass your assessment you can go to your nearest RMS service centre to pick up your new licence.

Apply Today

Join Over 1,000 Students Enjoying A Career in Transportation Now

Become Part of Pro Action Truck Driving School to Further Your Career.