MR Truck Licence

An MR truck licence is a highly desirable qualification in a high growth industry. The Road Transport Industry needs highly trained and skilled truck and bus drivers.

Your first step into this exciting and lucrative career is to gain an MR truck licence from Pro-action Driving Training. Our RMS approved and accredited driver training and competency-based (HVCBA) assessments will get you moving into an exciting new career.

What does an MR licence let me do?

Your MR (Medium Rigid) truck licence gives you access to a wide range of exciting career possibilities in the Road Transport industry.

There is a real shortage of professional drivers with an MR truck licence across many Australian industries.

An MR truck licence is required for truck and bus driving jobs in tourism or construction as well as for most transport and logistics companies.

With an MR licence you can move into a wide range of truck and bus driving jobs including:

  • Tour coach driver
  • School bus or municipal bus driver
  • General freight deliveries for anything from produce to timber and furniture
  • Refrigerated trucks
  • Tow trucks
  • Courier driver

You need an MR truck licence to drive trucks and buses with a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) of more than eight tonnes. You can tow a trailer provided it doesn’t weigh more than nine tonnes GVM.

The MR truck licence requirements are set out by the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS). Gaining your MR truck licence from Pro-action Driving Training is proof that you have successfully met all the RMS competency and safety standards.

Pro-action Driver Training is committed to making sure you are safe, skilled, and confident behind the wheel.

Apply Today

What the Course Covers

Getting behind the wheel of a MR truck or bus is a heavy responsibility. The RMS and potential employers need to know you are competent in a wide range of truck driving skills.  When you have completed the Pro-action MR truck licence programme you will be competent and confident with:

  • Pre Operational Checks
  • Cabin Drill
  • Start, Move Off, Shut Down & Secure
  • Manages Steering
  • Manages Gears
  • Manages Brakes
  • Manages Accelerator
  • Create/Maintain Crash Avoidance Space (CAS)
  • Protect Crash Avoidance Space (CAS)
  • Road Rules and Directions
  • Reverse
  • Hill Stop/Start
  • Load Securing
  • Coupling/Uncoupling (HC/MC only)
  • Bus Stop Procedure (Bus Only)

With Pro-action Driver Training you’ll gain solid confidence in all areas of safe handling and driving. This competency-based training and assessment also lets potential employers know that you are a safe and skilled driver.

Apply Today

What Do I Need to Do Next?

Applying for an MR truck licence is relatively easy.

Before you apply for your MR truck licence you must have held a C class licence or equivalent for at least one year. You cannot count time spent on a learner licence but you can include time spent on a P1 licence.

You must hold a P2 or full class C licence before you start driving practice in an MR vehicle or upgrade to an MR licence.

When you are ready you need to:

  • Fill out the application from—download it here
  • Pass the required eyesight test
  • Successfully pass the MR Driver Knowledge test. Get it here at the RMS website. This test covers questions about general knowledge as well as road safety questions specific to the MR licence class.
  • Don’t forget to pay the applicable fee. Learn more here

Make sure you study for your Driver Knowledge test. All the information you’ll need to pass is here in the handbook.

Apply Today

Do I Need any Training Materials?

Yes, you’ll need the HVCBA Learner’s Log Book and a Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment – they are required for your assessment and is supplied by the RMS once you’ve passed the Knowledge Test.

The Learner’s Log and guide book will take you through each step of the assessment process. You can also see at a glance how you’re tracking with your learning goals.

Now all you need to do is apply to Pro-action Truck Driver Training for your competency-based training and assessment.

Will I Also Have to Sit an RMS Driving Test?


Your MR truck licence is a Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA). This means your driving competency is assessed through an Accredited Training Provider and assessor such as the Pro-action Driver Training programme.

Be aware the assessor for the final Competency Assessment cannot be the same person who provided your training.

We arrange the assessor for the final Competency Assessment as part of our course and if you have done your training with another training provider we can complete your final competency assessment (FCA) with you.

Once you successfully complete your MR truck driving assessment your new licence will waiting for you at the nearest RMS service centre.

Apply Today

Join Over 1,000 Students Enjoying A Career in Transportation Now

Become Part of Pro Action Truck Driving School to Further Your Career.